The University of Colorado is a school of athletes. Any student with a heart can stand up and cheer when he or she hears Colorado State has signed a football scholarship as an Aggie. Congratulations to junior QB Steven Montez, the Buffaloes’ (1-6, 0-4 Pac-12) junior running back Phillip Lindsay, senior Tyler Bey and juco transfer Tanner Vallejo. The team announced it, and there’s not even a championship awarded in late-October for that. Bey had become the first player in Big 12 history to be selected a team captain before the season ended. This is what it means for the university:
Colorado State to host college football team ‘to pay for scholarships’ Read more
• The Broncos won this week. The Raiders played the Giants, a team that hadn’t posted a win against a team with a losing record since the 1-15 Eagles of 2003. The Big 12 struggled this week, despite predictions. This is not normal at Broncos nation.
• Brett Hundley is still suspended.
• So are Vic Beasley, David Irving and Derek Wolfe. Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph is out for Sunday. The Jets have a veteran, Chris Johnson, whose first touchdown with New York came as a running back.
• This winter in Greensboro, North Carolina, is the city’s Monday Night Classic Game. Still undecided is whether it will be Virginia Tech or North Carolina State.
• Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano may be learning how much playing football hurts. He has been asked if he can show teams the “gratitude” that he provided when he was at Rutgers and said: “What is gratitude? I was never a grinder, I don’t go to work to complain. I never worry about what I have or don’t have and always focus on what I have.”
• “I hope I can get him healthy,” Sean McVay said of his running back, Todd Gurley, the Rams’ 23-year-old Heisman winner. Why? “For him to be out there so the offense can get rolling, get things going like we want to do.” More from Gerring.
• Facing a Carolina Panthers’ defense that gave up 80 rushing yards a game in 2017, Gurley and the Rams came away with 123. Gurley rushed 21 times for 131 yards and scored two touchdowns. Carolina gave up 177 yards rushing this week.
• Playing three backup quarterbacks this week, you think the Dolphins’ Tavecchio has a backup career outside the NFL? That’s right. He’s made 123 fewer kickoffs in his career than Marciano in 10 years. Miami will have much more chances to either break records or hope to not get scolded for it by the league office.
• Find this article on the Patriots’ opening line: “Danny Amendola has more receptions than the Patriots’ top eight tacklers combined. But he’s out for Sunday’s game against Jacksonville.”
• Happy Halloween, all. Enjoy it.