U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted on Saturday that “very big progress” was being made with North Korea.
“As I have always said, if and when Kim Jong Un threatens the United States or our allies, he will truly regret it!” the President tweeted.
On Friday, a US official told CNN the North Korean government appeared to have fired an intermediate-range ballistic missile into the sea off its east coast — and the weapon could be an ICBM.
The missile was fired from around a known North Korean submarine and traveled about 620 miles, the official said. This deployment of a submarine-launched missile, along with previous launches by the North, signifies an expansion of the country’s missile program.
North Korea’s official Rodong Sinmun newspaper on Saturday said “the right to self-defense of the country shall never be denied,” after the KCNA news agency said it had conducted a submarine-launched ballistic missile test.
North Korea had previously based its ballistic missile program on mobile launchers. But recent tests have shown these launchers may be unreliable and require a more dependable missile.
KCNA said Saturday’s launch was conducted by the front-line Strategic Force of the Korean People’s Army (KPA).